I am busy preparing for the third Social Media in Recruitment Conference next week and I have been looking at the growth of Social Media since my first Conference in July 2009.
It is easy to think that social networking sites have been around forever as they are now very much a part of normal day to day activities. Although Linkedin has been around since 2003, Facebook since 2004 and Twitter since 2006, it has only been over the last few years that the use of Social Media in Recruitment has really started to take off.
Here are some stats showing the growth in Social Media sites from July 2009 until March 2011:
July 2009 Conference – 42 million users worldwide
March 2011: – More than 100 million users in more than 200 countries including:
- 20 million+ members in Europe as of December 2010
- 5 million + members in the UK as of December 2010
- As of January 2011, LinkedIn counts executives from all 2010 Fortune 500 companies as members; its hiring solutions were used by 69 of the Fortune 100 companies as of December 31, 2010
- More than half of LinkedIn members are currently located outside of the United States
- More than one million companies have LinkedIn Company Pages (formerly known as company profiles)
- There were nearly two billion people searches on LinkedIn in 2010
- LinkedIn is currently available in six languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese and Spanish.
July 2009 Conference – 250 million users
March 2011: – More than 500 million users
- 50% of their active users log onto Facebook every day
- Average user has 130 friends
- In 2010 roughly 7.9 new users signed up every second of the year, on average
- USA and the UK are in the top 3 countries, but Indonesia is second with 32.1 million users
- The large majority of users is between 18 and 34 years old but the fastest growing age group is 65+ (+124%)
- Average user is connected to 80 community pages, groups and events
- Average user creates 90 pieces of content each month
- More than 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each month
- There are more than 200 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices
July 2009 Conference - Around 7 million users
March 2011: – Over 175 million users
More than 95 million tweets are written per day (latest stats September 2010) which is almost 4 million tweets per hour.
What’s Your Experience Of Social Media Been Like?
The dramatic growth in the use of Social Media looks set to continue as every day more and more Recruiters start to use Social Media.
If you are using Social Media in your organisation then it would be great to hear your feedback about what worked for you and what didn’t?
Other Organisations Results
If you want to discover what results other organisations are achieving with Social Media then check out our next Social Media in Recruitment Conference on the 7th April.